Number of posts : 851
Age : 55
Location : BOUKADER CHLEF
Registration date : 2007-12-17
|Subject: Shaping the Way We Teach English Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:45 am|| |
Videos & Multimedia Overview
Shaping the Way We Teach English Modules, Introduction and 1-14
is a video-based training product for English language educators. It has
14 modules (topics). The videos showcase classroom scenes from around
the world and have an accompanying training manual plus additional
The University of Oregon developed and
produced the materials through funding from the U.S. Department of
State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English
Language Programs ©2007. All materials are free of charge and copyable
for non-commercial educational use.
"Shaping the Way We Teach English" is made up of the following modules and topics.
The Manual is available for download as a PDF file.
Videos are also now available through YouTube-UO
(use the word "Shaping" to search for them all at once). You can also
click on the links below to access them individually. Turn on closed
caption if you would like to see what people in the video are saying.
See technical support for online viewing guidelines. If the videos play too slowly online, you can download them by pasting the links in the KeepVid website and then saving them to your computer for offline viewing.
- Watch the Video: Introduction.
- Watch the Video: Module 01, Contextualizing Language.
- Watch the Video: Module 02, Building Language Awareness.
- Watch the Video: Module 03, Integrating Skills.
- Watch the Video: Module 04, Pair and Group Work.
- Watch the Video: Module 05, Learner Feedback.
- Watch the Video: Module 06, Managing Large Classes.
- Watch the Video: Module 07, Learning Strategies.
- Watch the Video: Module 08, Authentic Materials.
- Watch the Video: Module 09, Critical & Creative Thinking Skills.
- Watch the Video: Module 10, Alternative Assessment.
- Watch the Video: Module 11, Individual Learner Differences.
- Watch the Video: Module 12, Younger Learners.
- Watch the Video: Module 13, Teacher Development: Peer Observation.
- Watch the Video: Module 14, Teacher Development: Reflective Teaching.
Video "See/Don't See" Viewing Guides
Available for modules: Intro * 01 * 02 * 03 * 04 * 05 * 06 * 07 * 08 * 09 * 10 * 11 * 12 * 13 * 14.
Supplementary International Video Library Collection
To help identify main ideas for: Intro * 01 * 03 * 04 * 05 * 06 * 07 * 08 * 09 * 10 * 11 * 12 [PDFs].
Teaching and Classroom Observation Checklists
Teachers have begun developing locally relevant and specialized training
materials around the world. Some examples of this, in alphabetical
order by country, include:
Website developed by David Fay, Elena Solovova, Elena Markova through
the English Language Office of the U.S. Embassy Moscow (additional
videos available in DVD format in Russia).
- Saudi Arabia:
Arabic subtitles added to the original videos, developed by Iqbal
Al-Shuhail as part of the T2Reach Channel project (this is a YouTube
training around the world, teachers have often asked if it would be
possible to see full-length versions of some of the classes. Below are
videos University of Oregon, American English Institute created in
response to this.
- Watch the Video: Full-length class of a university-level EFL course, Part I.
- Watch the Video: Full-length class of a university-level EFL course, Part 2.
- Watch the Video: Full-length class of a secondary-level EFL course, Part 1.
- Watch the Video: Full-length class of a secondary-level EFL course, Part 2.
- Watch the Video: Full-length class of a secondary-level ESL course, Part 1.
- Watch the Video: Full-length class of a secondary-level ESL course, Part 2.
- Watch the Video: Full-length class of a primary-level bilingual course.
Teachers and teacher-trainers have also asked to see an example of a
trainer using the "Shaping" materials with a group of trainees. Below is
a workshop training session from Spring 2007 with co-trainers Leslie
Opp-Beckman and Kay Westerfield. The workshop was for University of
Oregon teachers who planned to train primary-level EFL teachers from
- Watch the Video: Workshop training session, Part 1.
- Watch the Video: Workshop training session, Part 2.
List of Supplementary Web-based Readings
Available for modules: 01 * 03 * 04 * 05 * 06 * 07 * 08 * 09 * 10 * 11 * 12 [PDFs].
For each module, there is also a list of supplementary web-based readings.
Shaping the Way We Teach English is produced for overseas use and is available in hard copy outside the United States only
. For information on availability, contact a Regional English Language Office in your area or your local U.S. Embassy, Public Affairs Section