Number of posts : 851
Age : 55
Location : BOUKADER CHLEF
Registration date : 2007-12-17
|Subject: Thanks and Thank You @ http://www.englishspeaking.org Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:41 am|| |
Thanks and Thank You
by ESL on March 22, 2011 Thanks
is more informal than thank you.
Note that thanks you
is not possible.
- Thank you very much. OR Thanks very much. (NOT Thanks you.)
can be followed by a lot
. Thank you
cannot be followed by a lot.
- Thanks a lot. (Thank you a lot.)
More expressions with thank
are given below.
- Thank heavens (NOT Thanks heavens) (NOT Thank you heavens.)
- Thank goodness (NOT Thanks goodness) (NOT Thank you goodness)
Indeed can be used with very much after thank you.
Thank you for
- Thank you very much indeed. (BUT NOT Thank you indeed)
and thanks for
can be followed by an –ing form.
- Thanks for coming. OR Thank you for coming. (NOT Thank you for your coming)
can be used instead of Yes, please.
- ‘Would you like another piece of cake?’ ‘Thank you.’ (= Yes, I would like another piece of cake.)
To refuse something you can say No, thank you / No, thanks.
- ‘Another cake?’ ‘No, thanks. I have eaten too many already.’
Note that we do not use Yes, thanks
to accept offers. Yes thanks
is used to confirm that things are all right.
- ‘Have you got enough rice?’ ‘Yes, thanks.’ (= Yes, I have got enough rice.)
Number of posts : 2
Age : 39
Location : Montréal
Registration date : 2011-10-21
|Subject: Re: Thanks &Thank you Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:54 pm|| |
Number of posts : 93
Age : 57
Location : algerie
Registration date : 2008-09-27
|Subject: Thanks &Thank you Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:43 pm|| |
It just came in mind those two normal words we all use all time
" Thank You " and " Thanks"
Thank You and Thanks are very nice and comforting words , they explain
how greatful you are and show the other side the deserved respect
They have the same meaning but when we should use each one of them
everyone of them has its own situation to use
Thank You : it should be used with someone whom you do not know very well
Thanks : it could be used with relatives and friends only, you cannot use it with a stranger
|Subject: Re: Thanks &Thank you Today at 11:09 am|| |