Teasing others and how to stop
tease; teasing; harassment; bullying; feelings; unhappy; fear; power; pick on; afraid; friends; safe; name-calling; mean; being mean; bully; bullies; bullying ;Contents
* Why people tease others
* What you need to know about teasing others
This topic is for people who like to tease others to upset them.
Maybe you know someone who teases others.
Maybe you are someone who likes to tease others.
Sometimes teasing is called harassment.
Sometimes teasing is so bad that it is called bullying - when someone is being made to feel very unhappy because of nasty teasing.
After you have read this topic, you could have a look at two other topics Being teased and Are you a bystander?Why people tease others
People often tease others because they have learned that:
* people like to be entertained feelings
* people notice them if they are teasing
* they feel powerful when others seem to be afraid of them (do you think that is really being powerful?)
* they like to be the centre of attention and they can't think how else to do it
* they can get away with it
* they don't have many ideas about how to get along with others.
* they think that it's OK to pick on some kids.
They are right about people liking to be entertained, but they need to learn how to entertain WITHOUT hurting other people or their feelings.
If you are one of the people who has learned to tease others in an unkind way then now is a good time for you to do some unlearning.What you need to know about teasing others
* When teasing upsets someone, everyone around feels uncomfortable.
* Teasing is not OK if it hurts people's feelings.
* Having people afraid of you is not as good as having friends.
Being the centre of bad attention is not as great as being the centre of good attention.
* Picking on kids who are different in some way is never OK. That makes you a bully and no one likes bullies.
* If you tease others then no one will stick up for you when you are being teased. teasing
* If you want to have friends then you need to learn how to be a friend. (See our topic on Making friends).
* Everyone has a right to feel safe.
* There are laws against harassment wherever that harassment takes place and you could get into a lot of trouble.
Maybe you thought teasing was cool because that's how you have been treated or are treated in some part of your life. If you are being teased then you need to read what you can do about it and ask for help to deal with it.
Ask yourself, "Would I like someone to talk about or treat me in this way?" before you do any teasing or name-calling and listen to your answer.
If someone is treating you badly - tell an adult you can trust.